The community is invited to see the new iTech Prep, a project-based STEM magnet school for sixth through 12th graders. The new building is the second in Vancouver Public Schools to be constructed with funds from a 2017 local bond measure. The school’s location on the Washington State University Vancouver campus is unique in the state and supports iTech’s early college model with access to college classes.
- Time: Thursday, Feb. 20, 6 to 7:30 p.m.
- Location: 16100 NE 50th Ave., Vancouver, WA 98686
- Carpooling is encouraged. Limited onsite parking will be available around the school. Guests also may park in the gray lot on the WSU Vancouver campus. Shuttle buses will be provided to/from the school.
- The program will begin at 6 p.m. and will include remarks by students, Principal Darby Meade, Superintendent Steve Webb, VPS Board President Wendy Smith and WSU Vancouver Vice Chancellor Lynn Valenter. Gov. Jay Inslee also is scheduled to attend as the keynote speaker.
- After a ribbon-cutting, guests will enjoy self-guided tours, student demonstrations and refreshments from 6:25 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
About the new building
- Architect: LSW Architects
- General contractor: Robinson Construction
- Building square footage: approximately 80,711
- Three stories, 23 classrooms and six collaboration spaces
Timeline of planning and construction
- September 2012: School opens in two locations. Middle schoolers are located at the Jim Parsley Education, Family and Community Center. High schoolers are located in the Clark College building at Washington State University Vancouver.
- September 2015: Teachers and staff, students, parents and community members attend a design symposium with architects to develop conceptual designs for a new building.
- February 2017: Voters approve a $458 million bond measure to rebuild and upgrade schools.
- 2017-2018: Teachers and staff participate in planning the architectural details of the new building.
- September 2018: Groundbreaking ceremony. Construction begins shortly afterward.
- December 2019: Teachers and staff move into the new building over winter break.
- January 2020: School opens to all students.
Vancouver iTech Preparatory is a collaboration among Vancouver Public Schools; Battle Ground Public Schools, in whose district iTech is located; WSU Vancouver, Clark College and several business and industry partners. Admission is granted through an equitable lottery selection process, and iTech has achieved a 100% graduation rate every year since its inaugural graduating class in 2016.